You should pull your free credit report from annualcreditreport.com to review the accounts listed and make sure they are indeed yours. Pull one credit report from a different bureau every four months to access your credit reports all year long. To obtain your Free Credit Report, please follow the steps listed below:
- Go to http://www.annualcreditreport.com
- Choose your state from the drop down menu & click “Request Report”
- Enter your personal information & click “Continue”
- Select which credit bureau to receive your credit report from. Note: Federal legislation requires all three bureaus to provide you with one free credit report each year. We recommend that you get a report from one bureau every four months to get a more accurate view of your credit report over time.
- Click “Next” & follow the directions
If you find fraudulent accounts, contact the merchant and let them know you have been a victim of identity theft. You may need to speak to someone in the company’s Risk Department to complete an identity theft affidavit and have the account closed. It may also be necessary and helpful to go into your local police station and file a police report stating that you have been a victim of identity theft.