Recent incidents have highlighted the dangers of card skimming crimes. Card skimming occurs when a device is installed on card readers such as ATMs or gas pumps. Once installed it copies your card information while hidden cameras or viewers take note of the pin you enter.
To avoid becoming a victim of card skimming:
- Look for signs that the ATM or gas pump has been tampered with —hanging wires, nuts or bolts that are out of place, etc.
- Look for similarities of the card reader compared to the entire ATM or gas pump—color, plastic, etc.
- If your card is not going into the machine smoothly, alert the bank right away
- Check your bank and credit accounts regularly and report any suspicious activity
- Check your InfoArmor Portal regularly for alerts, credit information, and tips
Source: NBC News