It’s that time of year again when you load up the car and head for the horizon to enjoy family vacations or road trips with friends. In fact, more than 35% of Americans took a road trip or family vacation of more than 50 miles in 20161. While these trips can serve as a time to relax, unwind and spend quality time with loved ones, it can also open the door to additional risks. During the peak vacation months of June, July and August, crime rates rise around 10%, so it becomes even more important to protect yourself and your family2.
As you prepare to embark on trips this summer, keep these tips in mind to ensure you and your family stay as secure as possible.
Before You Leave
- While it may seem like commonsense, one of the easiest ways to protect your home is to do a thorough inspection to ensure all windows and doors are locked.
- Be sure to put your mail and newspaper delivery services on hold while you will be gone as a full mailbox can be a sign that no one is at home.
- Avoid posting plans on social media or other public websites as it can alert criminals of potential periods where your home could be unprotected.
- Alert a friend or neighbor of your travel plans so they can keep an eye out for any suspicious activity.
- Once you are on your trip, keep friends and neighbors informed of any itinerary changes that could affect how long you will be gone. Not only will they know if they should be alarmed in your absence, they will also be able to keep an eye on your residence.
- Travel with some cash in case there are issues with your credit or debit cards. You should also keep stashes of cash and cards separate in case items are lost or stolen.
- Continue to avoid posting revealing information on social media as criminals can use this information to inflict harm.
As criminals are able to take advantage of travelers by gaining access to documents both at home and abroad, the door opens for identity fraud. As a PrivacyArmor® participant, we will also help remediate any issues that may arise if you should fall victim to identity thieves. Our Privacy Advocates® will do all the heavy lifting and are available at any time.