When people fall victim to identity theft they often wonder how it happened to them. The most common ways that thieves get your information include:
- Stealing mail from your mailbox or trash from your garbage cans with sensitive information inside
- Emails or “phishing scams” that go to a fake website and records your passwords, usernames, credit card information, Social Security number or other personally identifiable information
- Hardware on credit card scanners called “skimmers” that collect and record your card information and PIN to create duplicates
- Malicious software on your computer, spyware, viruses, or hacking activity that records and transmits data from your computer
- Emails or phone calls requesting help for a relative via wired money or promises of a large inheritance if you reveal your banking information
By knowing common points of exposure you can better protect yourself from fraud.